Preparing the ground for adaptation
1.3 What human, technical and financial resources are required for adaptation planning and management?
Each adaptation process is unique and various management and institutional set-up arrangements are possible, each having different requirements for resources.
In terms of human resources, the choices range from low-cos,t one-person lead coordination of existing sectoral activities to setting up a dedicated adaptation unit that oversees and coordinates processes involving in-depth risk assessments, stakeholder involvement and participation, as well as detailed adaptation action planning, implementation, and monitoring.
Similarly, the required financial resources will depend on the chosen approach to adaptation management. The choice should be guided by the level of exposure and vulnerability of the urban area to climate change risks, the size of its population and assets under threat, the range of sensitive sectors, and the existing institutional set-up.
Different ways of reducing resource needs can be considered:
- Building upon activities that are already taking place and are relevant for adaptation;
- Participating in support networks and initiatives, such as Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy; (See Q0.5 Where can I find support for adaptation planning in the form of advice and capacity building?)
- Accessing various sources of funding; (See Q1.4)
- Cooperating with private sector;
- Collaborating with universities and research projects;
- Aligning with other processes such as implementing a sustainability strategy.
Exchange of experiences and case studies from other urban areas that have started an adaptation process can be helpful in understanding the resource needs. Please refer to Q3.2 to find relevant case studies.
EU City-specific information
- Urban climate adaptation and leadership
- Elaboration and implementation of a local adaptation strategy or action plan
- Planning for Adaptation to Climate Change - Guidelines for Municipalities
- Adapting to Climate Change: Local areas' action
- Urban adaptation to climate change in Europe - Challenges and opportunities for cities together with supportive national and European policies
EU General information
International information for cities