Monitoring and evaluation
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E)
Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation (MRE) is a key aspect of an iterative adaptation process. MRE can help us to understand progress and performance, learn and communicate lessons and inform future policy and practice. It therefore plays a critical role enabling adaptation to evolve and improve over time.
As governments increasingly invest in adaptation it becomes essential to ensure the effectiveness, efficiency and equity of adaptation interventions. Yet we are still at an early stage in understanding how best to adapt to future climate change, how risks can be most effectively reduced and resilience enhanced, and what the characteristics of a well-adapting society might be. Learning what works well (or not) in which circumstances and for what reasons is critical. The development of an adaptation strategy presents an opportunity to consider how to best monitor, evaluate, and report on, adaptation progress and performance.
For national-level M&E approaches it is important that they ‘look' both downwards and upwards, so that national level decisions are informed by sub-national experiences and nations are able to share their adaptation progress effectively with the wider international community. The delivery of an adaptation strategy and/or action plan provides a useful focus for monitoring and evaluating progress in adapting to climate change.
Deciding what an MRE system for adaptation aims to accomplish (purposes) has an impact on the way this can be achieved (the methods used), the actors who should be involved in the process, and the extent to which the results of MRE activities are used in policies and practices. Consequently, Step 6 of the AST considers each of these elements in more detail.
Guidance and tools
- Monitoring and evaluation for climate change adaptation: A synthesis of tools, frameworks and approaches
- Monitoring and evaluating climate change adaptation at local and regional levels: Learning from international experience to develop an M&E methodology
- MEDIATION Toolbox
- Making Adaptation Count, Concepts and Options for Monitoring and Evaluation of Climate Change Adaptation
- AdaptME toolkit - Adaptation Monitoring & Evaluation
City specific information and guidance
Publications and reports
- Reducing emissions and preparing for climate change: 2015 Progress Report to Parliament (UK)
- National monitoring, reporting and evaluation of climate change adaptation in Europe (EEA Technical report No 20/2015)
- National climate change adaptation: emerging practices in monitoring and evaluation
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Climate Change Adaptation: Methodological Approaches
- Learning to ADAPT: monitoring and evaluation approaches in climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction – challenges, gaps and ways forward
- Evaluation of implementation of the National Strategy, Finland
- Climate change adaptation–related indicators
- Adapting to climate change in the UK - measuring progress
- Adapting to Climate Change