The Urban Adaptation Support Tool - Getting started
STEP0 The Urban Adaptation Support Tool – Getting started
Whether you are a city just starting to take adaptation action or one already making progress on your adaptation goals, you will find that the tool offers a wealth of valuable information that can support your adaptation efforts in a variety of ways.
The Urban Adaptation Support Tool (Urban AST) was developed as a practical guidance tool to assist signatories of the Mayors Adapt and the integrated Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy initiative in planning and taking adaptation action.
Benefits of the Urban Adaptation Support Tool
The Urban AST, which provides step-by-step guidance through the adaptation planning and implementation cycle, offers numerous benefits to users including:
- easy access to high-quality, expert urban adaptation information
- a comprehensive database of literature and information sources relevant for each step of the urban adaptation cycle
- a self-check checklist for each step of the cycle
- a database of case studies
- lists of adaptation options according to sector and impact, including extensive descriptions
- regular updates to make sure users have access to the most up-to-date information and newest examples of adaptation action
- relevance for a wide range of users including decision-makers, local practitioners, and other interested stakeholders
- a web-based and publically available platform on Climate-ADAPT
The Urban Adaptation Support Tool is the product of intensive and ongoing stakeholder consultations with European urban municipalities that complements the support and guidance on urban adaptation provided by EU Member States at the national level. It is of special importance for urban areas in those countries where national level tools and support are currently lacking or under development. As part of the ongoing consultation process, you, as an important stakeholder of the UAST, are invited to provide comments or suggestions on how we can improve the tool.
You can leave us your feedback by following the ‘comments and suggestions’ button on any page of the tool, which leads you to the contact form.
In an effort to provide UAST users with the most up-to-date information and improve the user experience, updates are continuously being made to the tool. The most recent updates are:
- a stronger link to climate change mitigation by including the new Q0.5 What are the inter-relationships between adaptation and mitigation?
- updated Q 5.2 with new links to good examples of local adaptation strategies