Mayors Adapt - the Covenant of Mayors Initiative on Climate Change Adaptation was set up by the European Commission to engage cities in taking action to adapt to climate change. Cities signing up to the initiative commit to contributing to the overall aim of the EU Adaptation Strategy by developing a comprehensive local adaptation strategy and/or integrating adaptation to climate change into relevant existing plans.
In October 2015, the Mayors Adapt initiative was officially merged with the Covenant of Mayors to create the new Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy. The new Covenant addresses both mitigation and adaptation.
Mayors Adapt - and likewise the new integrated Covenant - aims to increase support for local activities, provide a platform for greater engagement and networking by cities, and raise public awareness about adaptation and the measures needed.
To help bring this about, the EC initiative offers signatories:
- A dedicated helpdesk to support them in implementing their commitment to action on adaptation;
- Information, tools and other resources relevant for their work, including the Urban Adaptation Support Tool, dedicated case studies on action and city profile factsheets on signatories;
- Networking and peer-to-peer learning opportunities through dedicated events, city twinning activities, a practitioners group etc. to support the growing community of practice;
- A platform to showcase their action and leadership through the initiative's annual Signature Ceremony, as well as communications and outreach support.
For additional information about Mayors Adapt, please visit:
- The Mayors Adapt Outreach website
- The Cities and towns section in Climate-ADAPT.
Filter by zoneChoose a Country:
Choose a City:
Filter by criteriaClimate Impacts:
Stage of Implementation:
Choose a City: