Water Information System for Europe (WISE) (2007)
Since 22 March (World Water Day) 2007, the Water Information System for Europe (WISE) is the gateway to information on European water related information ranging from inland waters to marine.
The WISE web-portal is currently grouped into sections for:
- EU water policies (directives, implementation reports and supporting activities..)
- Data and themes (reported datasets, interactive maps, statistics, indicators,..)
- Modelling (now - and forecasting services across Europe..)
- Projects and research (inventory for links to recently completed and ongoing water related projects and research activities..)
The wide range of water data and information presented by the WISE web portal is collected by EU institutions to serve several stakeholders:
- for users from EU institutions or other environmental administrations WISE provides input to thematic assessments in the context of EU water related policies;
- for water professionals and scientists WISE facilitates access to reference documents and thematic data, which can be downloaded for further analyses;
- for the general public, WISE illustrates a wide span of water related information by visualisations on interactive maps, graphs and indicators.
WISE is a partnership between the European Commission (DG Environment, Joint Research Centre and Eurostat) and The European Environment Agency, known as “the Group of Four” (Go4).
Source:European Commission, European Environment Agency (EEA)